The history of distilling on the Ballindalloch Estate dates back to the early 1820’s when a distillery was built at Delnashaugh, above the junction of the rivers Avon and Spey near where the Delnashaugh Hotel stands today.
The idea of rebuilding a distillery at Ballindalloch began late in the summer of 2011. The old steading was viewed by Estate owners Clare and Oliver Russell as an embarrassment and certainly not representative of Clare’s ancestral home. After looking at a number of different ideas, they decided that a distillery would be the perfect solution both for the old steading and for the long term benefit to the Estate. A number of conversations took place with some leading industry figures, together with their sons Guy and Edward, with the decision taken a year later to commit to the project. Plans were then put in place to turn their dream into a reality.
Over the next two years, work was carried out to renovate and fit out the old farm steading next to the Estate’s Golf Course from the near derelict state it was in. Working on a building that dates back to the 1820s required attention from a small group of skilled craftsmen. From the stonework to the slates on the roof, the woodwork to the interior decoration, the family were committed to the use of local trades wherever possible.
From the very outset, the production of our whisky was always destined to be “hands on”. With a clear commitment to tradition, the Single Estate nature of our process allows us to control every aspect of whisky making. From the barley we grow at our Home Farm to draff fed back to cattle across the Estate, we craft our whisky in a way that generations past would have recognised.
The result is a distillery that has a look and an attitude more akin to the traditions so rarely seen today.
You can find out more about this remarkable project at the Ballindalloch Distillery website.